They are wrong, there is something we can do. Complain loudly to Jagex each time you get this PM advertising a merc clan (in my case 'GP FAMILY'). I put up a suggestion on the suggestion forum for a 'FRIEND REQUEST' option. Basically it will disallow anyone sending you a PM unless you give them permission to add you to their friend list. It is an overdue option as when I get the PM from the spam bots they are already on private and I can't PM them back to stop.
The suggestion I added was:
- Allow a fixed number of requests per player for a time period (ie. week or month
- If the player declines the request to be added the decline stays on the requestors list for a week or month cutting back on the number of available slots they can use.
- If you don't recognize the account have a function to 'reply' with a 'Who are you?' query.
- The request sits for a week or month before expiring.
- If this is a bot it will effectively shut down that bot and force the bot creators to add new bots (and this is a P2P world so it will cost them real money).
- If it advertises for a merc clan then sanction the merc clan with temporary (and in some cases permanent) bans on the account(s) that have control of the CC.