Sunday, August 16, 2015

OSRS, Resizable mode and Windows 10

A short time ago I upgraded my netbook from Windows 7 starter to Windows 10.  The reason for this blog entry is that I used my netbook to play OSRS and it worked fairly well. It wasn't the fastest machine, but, playable.  I upgraded that machine as it wasn't my 'mission critical' machine and if it got hosed then no major loss.

The machine is an Acer Aspire One D255E.
  • CPU - Intel Atom N455 - 1.66 GHz
  • Memory - 2 Gigs (I upgraded from 1 Gig)
  • Storage - 160 gigs
The process itself I documented in my other blog under the subject Windows 10 Upgrade Experience.

Before the upgrade OSRS would run at 95-100% of the CPU.  In Windows 10 it runs in the 70-80% range and is quite responsive.  It isn't as fast as my gaming machine, but, considering that this is a netbook it is a huge bonus for me.  I like using the netbook as it is a lot smaller and lighter and at night I am playing it in the living room with it sitting on my lap.

If you do upgrade your machines do a backup before you start!  Please, please, please, make a backup of your data before you start.  During the upgrade process pick custom so that your default software and browser remain the defaults.

On the resizable mode I just love the option.  I scale it to fit what I am doing, zooming in during combat and out just to see what is happening around the area.  It works well even on the netbook and on the gaming laptop it works extremely well.

No comments: